mission / vision
life at IDRI
current job opportunities
Devastating infectious diseases cause suffering and death for millions of people around the globe. For many years, most of the investment in addressing these global health challenges was focused on basic disease research, while nearly all product development efforts were focused on larger markets in the developed world.
At IDRI, we are the bridge between knowledge and action. We combine our passion for improving human health with the understanding that it is not just what we know about disease, but what we do to change its course that will have the greatest impact. Developing products that solve intractable global health challenges is what we do, and we have a track record of doing it successfully. Our unique product-based approach to fighting infectious diseases has already yielded novel diagnostics, vaccines and drug development strategies that are protecting and saving lives.
Working in Partnership
With deep relationships in the academic and corporate arenas, IDRI unites the best of the research and product development communities. Our partnerships with businesses, nonprofit foundations and government agencies give us unprecedented access to cutting-edge technology and financial support.
We believe our comprehensive approach - combining the high-quality science of a research organization with the product development capabilities of a biotech company - will help us reach our goal of creating new diagnostics, drugs and vaccines to help those who need it most.
By the Numbers
- 501(c)3 nonprofit institution founded by Steven G. Reed, Ph.D., in 1993
- Headquartered in Seattle with 80+ collaborations worldwide
- 125+ employees, of which ~50 have advanced degrees (Ph.D) and ~90 work in research and development
- $22.5 million budget in 2015
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- National Institutes of Health
- Eli Lilly & Co.
- Paul G. Allen Family Foundation
- Wellcome Trust
- M.J. Murdock Charitable Trust
- American Leprosy Missions
- World Health Organization
- Other public/private partnerships